Whenever a truck accident occurs, it can be devastating and incredibly stressful. An accident involving a regular vehicle can be tough enough, much less one involving a semi, 18-wheeler or any other mammoth truck.
Below are five differences between a truck accident and a car accident.
- Huge insurance policies. Because of the size and nature of large commercial trucks, the insurance policies are quite large as well. Sometimes they’re up to 50 times bigger than a regular vehicle policy. Therefore, when an accident occurs, the insurance carrier will do almost anything possible to get out of liability. These policies can be into the millions of dollars.
- More property damage. The weight of the semi truck, including their freight, can be up to 80,000 pounds. This can cause serious damage when there’s an accident. Unfortunately, when something this heavy comes in contact with a 3000-pound vehicle, the results can be catastrophic.
- Greater injuries. Due to the nature of how large the truck is, injuries to a car passenger can range from severe whiplash, broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, back injuries and death. The effects of this type of impact can be incredibly devastating.
- Extensive medical bills. Medical bills can also be extensive. Often, this may mean a longer stay at the hospital with extensive testing, and the repercussions that come along with lifelong injuries and disabilities. Some people may be absent from work for an extended period of time, which can affect a victim’s financial situation.
- Different regulations. Due to the interstate nature of their job, trucking companies are governed by more regulations than a regular passenger vehicle. Some of these regulations include special types of drivers licenses and qualifications, logbooks, annual inspections or maintenance of their truck. The increase in these regulations often opens the door to a variety of ways to gain compensation.
If you or one of your loved ones has been involved in a trucking accident, it’s in your best interest to contact an experienced truck accident attorney near you.